Black Lives Matter Organizer Posts Guide To Riotwear…In Arabic
A Black Lives Matter activist who was part of the organization promoting the Ferguson riots posted a guide to riot wear in both English and Arabic on Twitter.
Of Course Black Lives Matter! This Is A Whole Different Story.
This tweet came from Ashley Yates, who uses the handle @BrownBlaze on Twitter. According to Breitbart, Yates is a prominent protest organizer in the Black Lives Matter movement who is an advocate for violence. The Guardian quoted her in 2014 during her involvement with the Ferguson protest saying:
“If they can’t serve justice in this, the people have every right to go out and express their rage in a manner that is equal to what we have suffered,” said Ashley Yates, a co-founder of Millennial Activists United, who was arrested last week while protesting in Ferguson.
Although she was not a member of the group at the time, Yates honed her protest organizing skills when she was the political chair of the Legion of Black Collegians at the University of Missouri Columbia; the group who was behind last year’s UMC campus uprising.
The Riot Gear Guide list of “Necessary Clothing and Accessories,” makes the following suggestions:
- Sweatshirt or leather jacket with a hood. This helps shield your face from teargas.
- Spray paint so that if the authorities attack us, we can spray paint the visors of their helmets and the windshields of their armored trucks, blocking their vision and hindering their movement.
- Scarf to protect your mouth and lungs from teargas.
- Protective glasses. (Can be bought at any metalworking or paint shop.)
- The lid of the pot. You can use this shield when the state security beats you or shoots rubber bullets.
- Thick rubber gloves in order to protect your hands from the heat of teargas containers.
- Shoes that make it easy to run and move quickly.
The guide also suggests bringing a flower, saying:
“A rose so we can show that we can do as we ought to and join together in the most peaceful way possible.”
The tweet from @BrownBlaze came shortly after she’d retweeted an article from Jason Leopold discussing their plans to buy riot gear in preparation for the Republican National Convention in Cleveland.
Patrisse Cullers, cofounder of Black Lives Matter, promised to “Shut Down” this summer’s Republican National Convention. On MSNBC, she said:
…many folks have asked why would you go after the Democratic party? They’re on our side. What about the Republican party? And trust and believe that any opportunity we have to shut down a Republican convention, we will. We will make sure that our voices are made loud and clear.”
Join Us In The Chat Room To Discuss This Article:
[flyzoo-embed-chatroom id=’572b9b53bb547e18f45cecfb’ width=’auto’ height=’640px’]
sources: MSNBC, Breitbart, Twitter, The Guardian